Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hair Happenings

Hello My Curly Cuties!

Penny here with a new hair product trial. For quite some time I had been reading about a line of products for natural hair called HAIR RULES. I read good things but wanted to wait until my Mixed Chicks products were done, before trying it myself. To my surprise the ULTA beauty store near my house just recently began selling Hair Rules and my stylist said her clients loved it. Penny's curiousity was peaked,and since this summer has turned out to be extremely hot and humid, Penny and her naturally curly hair have not been acting like BFFs. The constant humidity has made it impossible to wear a blown out (straight) style without it turning into a hair helmet within an hour of exposure to the outdoor elements. *sigh*  So Penny has decided to find a way to get along with her crazy curls. ...(read full story...)


HAIR RULES is a line of products that caters to textured hair types. http://www.hairrules.com/ The product lines have been customized for kinky, curly and wavy hair types. After reading the labels and the website recommendations, I determined that my hair type was in the curly category (really between curly & wavy) and I purchased a few of the items recommended in that line. Thankfully ULTA offeres trial size products at $9.50 for 2oz. (Regular size bottles are 8oz for $20)
  • Nourishment Leave-in Conditioner; for all hair types
  • Curly Whip; styling whipped gel formula for curly hair
  • Hydrating Finishing Cream
Penny's Pros:
Hair feels really soft; like the distinct curl pattern; seems to control frizz but need to use the product a few more times for better analysis. Products contain olive oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, and honey. Products are not heavy or greasy.

Penny's Cons:
Scent is just ok; grapefruit smell but not citrusy. Hydrating Finishing Cream contains petrolatum; doesn't have enough 'hold' to keep the 'fuzzies' down at the hairline; Finish cream leaves some shine but can look dull over time; not enough shine for me. Hair tends to feel a little dry by then end of the day; especially if I've run my hands through it at some point.


[Left: Picture of Penny's curly craze]. I have only been using the products for a couple days so I will continue to use them and see how my hair reacts. I am using my own shampoo and conditioner because I like what I use to manage my color-treated, often dry hair. Since I feel like I need something with more 'hold' for when I pull my hair back in a ponytail, I will continue to use my Elasta QP Glaze gel; it adds perfect shine and hold but would be too heavy for the ends of my hair. Hair Rules products seem to work best when I plan to wear my hair out via air dry. The verdict is not quite out on HAIR RULES for Penny. If I can work around the fuzzy and find the right glossing serum to add to the mix, I could see myself using this for a while.

Be blessed. Be beautiful.
P

2 comments:

  1. Follow up: Four months later and I gave away my Hair Rules products to my girlfriend to try. My review pretty much stands; not really feeling these products. Now on to DevaCurl. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. DevaCurl didn't do it for Penny either. The Angel (curl defining gel) and Set it Free (moisture lock) products I sampled didn't do much. The gel had pretty good hold, but not enough shine. And I didn't see much difference in the moisture lock lotion.

    Mixed Chicks products have been the BEST so far for Penny's naturally curly hair. www.mixedchicks.net

    ReplyDelete