Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Prime Time!

Hola!
Today I’m going to tell you about a great eye shadow primer that I’ve been using.  Since Penny has issues with dark eye lids, I needed a primer with some base color…something that would neutralize my dark lids so that my eye shadow colors show true. I also hate when my eye shadow creases as the day goes on; which happens more during these warm weather months if you don't use primer. On a recent visit to Sephora I asked the rep for Sephora’s Tricks of the Trade eye shadow primer, as it had that light tint and good staying power…it was also a bargain at $6-$12! LOL! But they didn’t have it. When I told her what I needed from my primer, she recommended Stila Prime Pot in Caramel ($20, Sephora)….PERFECT!

 
PROS:

 
·         Holds my eye shadow in place all day

 
·         Neutralizes the uneven skin tone on my lids

 
·         Creates a smooth surface to work with

 
·         Doesn’t crease

 
·         Easy to apply (for Penny at least)

 
·         Dries quickly

 
CONS:

 
·         Only comes in 2 colors (Caramel & Tawny)

 
·         Dries quickly (for some this can make it harder to apply)

 
The Stila Prime Pot claims to work on all skin tones, but I’m not sure how that could be with the two (light) shades they have. The 'Caramel' shade works perfectly for me. The young lady who recommended the product said that she tried it but it was ‘too light’ for her dark chocolate brown complexion. Unless you plan to cover the entire eye lid with pigmented shadow it would look odd to have the primer showing if it doesn’t compliment your skin tone. I guess I’d have to see it on someone darker than me…hmmmm.
Although the #1 eye shadow primer (at least according to the beauty magazines) is supposed to be Urban Decay’s Primer Potion Tube ($18, Sephora)…Penny was not impressed. There was not much coverage for my discolored lids and it creased on me a time or two. These come in different shades and formulas…Original, Eden, and Sin & Greed.  Too Faced Shadow Insurance ($18, Sephora) is supposed to be a good one too…but I’ve never tried it.   Most recently I was using NARS Smudgeproof Eyeshadow Base ($24, Sephora); it works fine but goes on clear.

 
TIP:
Use your fingers to apply Prime Pot but blend quickly with short strokes because the cream base dries quickly. You don't want to have to layer it because then it can be difficult to blend. I just dip my finger tip in the cream or or use a Q-Tip to put a little on my finger tip and then blend over my entire lid.

 
Be blessed. Be beautiful.
Penny

  • UPDATE:  So today was the first 80+ degree day since I've been wearing my Stila Prime Pot eye shadow primer, and it didn't do so well. Interestingly I only wore primer today; no eye shadow. Not sure if this made a difference but I wasn't outdoors for long but my primer was creased by late afternoon. :-(  I will probably still wear Prime Pot for the coverage it gives of my dark lids, but maybe its not the best-of-the-best for Penny if its going to crease. I experimented this weekend too and used my NARS Smudgeproof Primer underneath the Prime Pot when I went out dancing, and believe it or not, my eye shadow looked better than I did at 5am! LOL!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment