Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Holiday Harriet

Hi!
Happy Holidays! I know I've been missing in action and I apologize. Sometimes I have writer's block and I can't bring myself to write/focus. Other times I have too many things I want to talk about and don't know how to narrow it down. LOL! So feel free to let me know if there is something you want to know about.


The holidays are a fun time for Penny...so many new products...so many looks to try! LOL! With the many holiday festivities upon us...company parties, charitable functions, family gatherings, cocktail parties, concerts, New Year's Eve party, and more, what better time to amp up your look. Make-up is an accessory like any other. If you're going to buy a new dress, new shoes, a new clutch, and new accessories, why not add new lipstick or eye shadow to the list. A different make-up technique can change your appearance as much as any outfit can. Stay in your comfort zone or go all out...its up to you. But if you play it safe, be sure that the small change you makes a difference. For example, if you've never worn red lipstick, now is the time. Try a bright colored eye liner. If you're not used to sparkles, add a touch of glitter. Penny not only did the red lip this season, but I've even done a smoky eye and plum lip (instead of my usual nude lips) and I looked fab! (If I must say so myself). LOL!

(Courtesy of Black Opal)
For example, I tend to wear matte eyeshadows the most. I love the look, and they are more 'age appropriate' for me with my hooded eyes. LOL! But druing the holidays there is nothing wrong with a little shimmer or sparkle. So I take it to another level by playing with shimmery shades, brighter pigments, or deeper jewel tones. I also began wearing false lashes this season! Yeah...Penny's going there! (Nevermind I might look like the sister of a drag queen since I dont always get the strips on right. LOL! No offense to any queens or their siblings...one love!)

Anyhoo, since there are so many 'holiday looks' out there, Penny is just going to share some of the products she's been using this season:

I start with a cleansed and moisturized face:
  • CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser ($14) - used on skin without make-up
    • Boscia Makeup-Breakup Cool Cleansing Oil ($26) - used to remove my make-up after I've done my damage out and about. LOL
  • CeraVe Moist Facial Lotion P.M. ($10)
Then I prime my face:
  • Smashbox Photo Finish Primer ($17, travel size)
  • Make Up For Ever (MUFE) HD Microperfecting Primer - just trying a sample of this now; so far so good
  • Too Faced Shadow Insurance
  • Too Faced Shadow Insurance ($18) - just for eye lids

Then I work on my eyes. This is new for me to do this first. When doing a smokey eye especially, the pros recommend that you put your eye make-up on before the rest of your make-up so that you can clean off any fall out under your eye without disturbing any make-up on your face. It works!
  • MAC's Paint Pot (in Painterly) - used as my base to neutralize my lids and help eyeshadow colors to show true to color. My lids are dark naturally so I use this as a base to even out my skintone.
  • Eyeshadow colors depending on the look I'm going for. I use the following brands almost daily: Bobbi Brown, MAC, Coasta Scents palette, and Urban Decay
    • Colors that are standard for Penny: Urban Decay in Naked (matte) or Gunmetal (shimmer); Bobbi Brown in Cocoa (matte) ($20); MAC's shadows in Smut, Fig, Sketch, Rice Paper, Humid, and Outre, etc; Smashbox palette for hazel eyes ($42); NYX Eye Shadow Single in Black (matte) as a liner ($5).
    • Sometimes I use ULTA brand shadow in Gold Leaf ($7); or Sephora brand eye shadow in City Fog, a perfect matte gray ($12)
    • Sometimes I use Revlon  Eye Shadow Single in purple or navy (both matte)
    • Sometimes I use NYX Jumbo Pencil shadows as a base to create intense and vibrant color (Gold, Dark Brown, Purple, etc).
  • Eyeliner colors vary but I use the following often: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Liner Pencil in Zero ($18); Bobbi Brown Gel Eyeliner in Granite, Graphite, or Saphire ($21); Buxom Lashliner in Leatherette ($16)
  • Mascara: Benefit's They're Real Mascara ($22);  Buxom Lash ($19); Buxom Amplified Lash ($22); or L'Oreal False Fiber Mascara ($8)
  • False Eyelash Strips: Ardell #53 ($4), Mod Lash #108 ($5), or Red Cherry,747S ($13 for 6pk).
After my eyes are done, I clean up any fall-out under the eyes with a damp wash cloth or make-up remover towelette. (read full story...) 

Then its time for foundation and powder.
  • Cover FX Cream Foundation in B15 ($40)
  • MAC Studio Finish SPF 35 Concealer in NC42 ($17); don't always use this because foundation has great coverage
  • Mac Blush in Buff
  • MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Powder in Medium Dark ($20)
Then I do my eyebrows:
  • bareMinerals eye brow powder in Dark blonde/Medium Brown ($11)
  • Anastasia clear Brow Gel ($21) - paid less because I got the travel size from Sephora
Then blush; any one of the following:
  • MAC Blush (Matte) in Buff ($19.50)
  • NARS Blush in Sin ($27)
  • Bobbi Brown Shimmer Blush in Bahama Brown ($24)
  • Rimmel of London Lasting Finish Powder Blush in Spring Flower ($4.99)

And finally lip liner/lipstick/lipgloss. So many fun looks this holiday season:
    
    MUFE Lipstick #46
  • Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick in #46 ($19), the perfect deep red for me; worn w/ Sephora Collection nano lip liner in Pleasant Plum ($5)
  • Revlon Colorbust in Plum ($8.99); w/ Sephora Collection nano lip liner in Pleasant Plum
  • Bobbi Brown High Shimmer Lip Gloss in Plum Gold ($23); w/ BB lip pencil in Henna ($20)
  • Smashbox Limitless Longwear Lip Gloss in 24/7 ($22);  w/ Sephora Collection nano lip liner in Pleasant Plum
  • Selma Hayek's Nuance Lipstick in Shimmering Nude ($10.99); w/ MAC Lip Glass in Love Nectar ($14.50) w/ Sephora Collection nano lip liner in Belle Beige 
  • MAC lip glass in Viva Glam Gaga 2 ($14.50) w/ Sephora Collection nano lip liner in Belle Beige
Products purchased at Sephora, ULTA, CVS and the MAC store.

If you're looking for make-up looks for New Year's Eve check out sites like these:
http://www.sephora.com/
http://www.maccosmetics.com/
http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/

PLEASE NOTE: Youtube.com also has hours and hours of make-up tutorials to view. Some of my favs are by the following bloggers: DRBrooklyn730, TheFancyFaced, KandeeJohnson, AndreasChoice, and DestinyGodley. Just look them up in the search engine.


Be blessed. Be beautiful.
Be ready to bring in the new year!
Penny

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I have today and tomorrow off- Penny you have inspired me to get my new 2012 look together Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! You always look fabulous Kai so I'm sure you're going to do the damn thing and bring in the new year with a bang! LOL! Have fun with it! And you got 2 days to practice any new tricks. LOL! I'm working on a post for tomorrow with tips and tricks on how to use some of these products...stay tuned! ;-)

    ReplyDelete