Penny decided to take a break from talking techniques to share some interesting tips about keeping your tips in tip top shape! At brunch today with some of my lovely lady friends we started talking about nail polish and how to get a long-lasting manicure (sans a gel manicure). As many of you know Penny has a penchant for manicures and pedicures. Yes...every two weeks it's a must. I'm a little fanatical about it too. If I break a nail that's an emergency trip to the nail salon (9-1-1)...that same day. LOL! If I choose a color and don't really like it a few days later...that could be a trip for a polish change. Fanatical I said. LOL! So that explains my over 40 bottles of nail polish in my 'at home' collection...don't judge. :-) You see, there are definite advantages to taking your own polishes to the nail salon:
|Gouda Gouda Two Shoes-OPI |
(courtesy Fashion Polish)
- You always have the color you want to wear. NOTE: You should take your own top coat and base coat as well.
- You don't have to worry about contamination (i.e. bacteria infections, etc) NOTE: You may want to purchase your own manicure/pedicure kit for hygienic purposes as well.
- You don't have to worry about the polish getting thick and polish thinner being used (which sometimes alters the wearability of your polish).
The TOP COAT:
|Out the Door|
I recommend you read the posts on All Lacquered Up as part of her Top Coat Challenge to see the results of various top and base coat combinations. I love that there are pictures to show the differences.
|CND Super Shiney|
- Seche Vite is one of Penny's favorite top coats (CVS, $9.99). Its dries quickly with a great high gloss shine. It's thicker than some but dries quickly; the company sells a polish thinner (Seche Restore) but I've never had to use it.
- OPI Top Coat (ULTA, $8.50) is also a staple in Penny's collection. Love the shine and durability.
- Creative Nail Design (CND) Super Shiney Top Coat; (ULTA, $8.50) heard great things about it and can't wait to try it.
- Essie Top Coat (ULTA, $8) is another good one but I haven't worn it in years. I love Essie polishes; great quality products.
- Sally Hansen Insta Dri Top Coat (CVS, $4) has gotten great reviews. What I love about Sally Hansen is that they consistently offer a variety of quality base coats and top coats that are always budget friendly, and work well with natural nails.
Penny usually only wears base coat on the toes to avoid the yellowing of my natural nails. I recommend a base coat for anyone with natural nails as it protects your nails, could strengthen them, and helps to achieve a long-wearing manicure.
Let me know if this information was useful. Or if you have a favorite base coat/top coat combo that works for you.
Be blessed. Be beautiful.