Monday, July 25, 2011

Nail Polish in the News?

Hi All!

Many of you know Penny is fast becoming a nail polish nerd. LOL!  I am proud to say that I've managed to keep my collection to 50 or less...so far. What can I say...I just like what I like. Part of the reason for my obsession with nail polish is this great nail blog I subscribe to called All Lacquered Up. http://www.alllacqueredup.com/  I find lots of great new polishes and colors through this blog (check out her gallery). So I found it interesting that this blogger was chosen to debate "nail polish" of all things in The Opinion Pages of  The New York Times. (See link)

Why Did Wild Nail Polish Go Mainstream?
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/06/30/why-did-wild-nail-polish-go-mainstream-10

The 'comments' are just as interesting (if not more so) as the topics being discussed by the seven debaters. If you get a chance I suggest reading some of the other articles by those in this debate. No matter how you feel about nail polish COLORS these days, there is no denying that it's the newest IT accessory.  Not only have colors changed over the years, but nail art, textures and techniques are now all the rage. While Penny is still somewhat conservative after all these years (no crackle, no gems, no designs, etc)...I began to go out on a limb about a year ago with some of the trendy colors in varying shades of grays, blues, purples and greens.

My brand du jour is Zoya! http://www.zoya.com/   It's a great long wear, polish with over 300 colors to choose from. It is also a 4-Free polish (free of toluene, formaldehyde, DBP (phthalates) and camphor). The only down side is that these polishes are not widely available. They are only sold at spas and salons. You can plug in your zip code on their website to see where the polishes are sold near you, or call: (800) 659-6909, Customer Service. Yes...Penny called. LOL! I am fortunate enough to be able to purchase my polishes at Hair Cosmopolitan (& Salon) in White Flint Mall, Rockville, MD, not far from my job. I also order online. Right now Penny is trying to refrain from pre-ordering several of the new fall colors. LOL!

I still use OPI and Essie polishes as well. They have great collections and are also long wearing. OPI  and Essie offer 3-free polishes too. The other polishes I want to try in the future are Butter London, SpaRitual and NARS. I like Chanel's colors but choose not to pay $23 for a bottle of polish when there are so many budget-friendly brands to choose from. My only splurge has been a couple of Rescue Beauty Lounge (RBL) polishes ($18 ea) when there was a discount promo. ;-)
My favorite top coat is Seche Vite Quick Dry Top Coat (CVS, ULTA; $9.95)...great shine and durability. My polish looks 10x better, and lasts longer. I found that the nail salons don't always use a quality top coat, which defeats the purpose of a good manicure if you ask me. (Don't be fooled by what the bottle says). I take my polish and top coat with me to just about every salon visit. If I had natural nails (I wear acrylics or silk wraps) I would probably try Seche Vite's nail strengthener as well.

NOTE: Free polishes are polishes developed without key toxic chemicals that we should be aware of in our polishes. See this link for a more detailed explanation:
http://www.alllacqueredup.com/2007/05/big-3-chemicals-that-is.html

Check out this link for an extensive list of 3-free and 4-free polishes: http://www.alllacqueredup.com/2009/04/celebrate-earth-day-check-your.html

Be blessed. Be beautiful.
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment