Thursday, July 28, 2011

Hair Affair

Hello there!

Are you looking for a new blow dryer, flat iron or curling iron? Are you a D-I-Y kinda gal that will give yourself a blow out, instead of going to the salon? Well Penny has a tip or two for you!

For the past few months I have been using a great blow dryer, flat iron and sometimes curling iron regimen. One of the things I like most about these hot tools is that they are 'wallet-friendly' but high quality. Both the blow dryer and flat iron I'm about to describe were recommended by a friend who has natural hair, but wears her hair in straight styles. I got a chance to see how they worked on her hair and I liked it. The curling iron I've had for a while and probably found after doing research on ceramic irons.
Natural Hair
(Damp; after wash & condition)

Conair Pro Silverbird 2000 Watts (Sally's, Amazon.com; $35-$39.99) - This dryer was so much lighter than my previous one, which was the first reason I was sold on it. My hair is curly, med/long in length and can be challenging to blow out straight.  I also like the comb/pik attachment because I can't blow out my own hair with a round brush like some folks. With the high heat settings I am able to get my hair very straight and it doesn't take much time (see pics). After I washed and conditioned my hair, I applied a little leave-in conditioner; and squeezed out the excess water with a towel. Then I worked some Sabino Lok and Blok serum (Amazon.com, $22) throughout, as I detangled my hair with a wide-toothed comb. After letting my hair air dry half way, I blow dry it completely. (see pic)
After blow dry w/ comb
 attachment

Penny isn't Penny without products. LOL! In addition to the moisture lock (Lok & Block) which I believe is essential to my smooth blow out, I use the following products when styling my hair (not always at the same time):
  • CHI Iron Guard 44 - thermal protection spray
  • PhytoSpecific Moisturizing Styling Balm w/ Qunioa Oil
  • Elasta QP Curl Wax w/ Aloe and Lanolin
TIPS:
- Always use a thermal protection product to protect your hair when using hot tools.
- Learn the proper heat settings for your hair type; every tool should have a guide. The last thing you want to do is burn your hair. Luckily with the new ceramic and tourmaline technology this is harder to do than it used to be.
- Use a damp washcloth to wipe clean your hot tool as you use it. While using the flat iron and/or curling iron I find it helpful to carefully wipe them clean as I finish a 1/4 section of my hair (I section it off in 4-5 areas usually). By cleaning each tool it helps to eliminate any product residue that could burn on the plate or barrel. No one likes to walk around smelling like an electrical fire. LOL!
- Look for hair tools with Ceramic, Tourmaline, and/or Ionic technology. Ceramic plates distribute an even heat preventing hot spots on the iron which can burn hair. It's better if the tool is not painted with a ceramic coating as over time that coating could start to peel or chip, leaving behind a burn smell and snagging the hair. A tool with ceramic and tourmaline means that it probably uses Far Infared heat. This type of heating heats the hair from the inside out, causing less surface damage. It is also said that tourmaline helps the hair to be smoother, more shiny, and frizz-free. When you see the word ionic on a product this means that the iron produces negative ions. Negative Ions work to eliminate frizz and static by smoothing and closing the cuticle layer.  (read full story....)

After blow drying I smooth my hair out with my fav flat iron:
BaByliss Pro Porcelain Ceramic 1.5" Straightening Iron (Amazon.com; $39.95) - This was the best buy I've made in a long time! This flat iron heats up super fast and never snags or burns my hair. As described on Amazon..."Porcelain plates create a shiny, smooth finish; instant fast heat-up and instant heat recovery; and Theostat temperature dial up to 450oF." My resistant hair needs this kind of heat to relax it.  (Picture of hair worn straight to be posted later). I really wish I discovered this flat iron years ago...I spent a lot more on other flat irons that worked well, but not as well as the BaByliss. My hair seems to stay straighter longer.

And finally I curl my hair sometimes when I want to wear it with some body & bounce:

After blow dry, flat iron, and
and curling iron on ends

WIGO 3/4" Digital Ceramic Curling Iron (Amazon.com; $47.96) - This curling iron also heats up fast and has a digital read out. It's still a little tricky to operate. You have to hold the 'on' button down a few seconds to turn on or off the iron. But you also have to hit the button twice to "lock" in the heat seating once you get to the desired heat. This is good so you don't accidentally turn up the heat while using the tool. After I straighten & curl each section I set my hair in regular magnetic (plastic) rollers or flexi rods if I have time. When I blow dry my hair it doesn't hold a curl well so I can use all the help I can get. The rollers allow me to get body and some curl at the end (see pic).

I use the styling balm or hair wax to smooth down my fly aways and add shine but a little goes a long way so go light on the products.

Do you do your own blow out? What do you use? Leave a comment.

Be blessed. Be beautiful.
P




No comments:

Post a Comment