Sunday, August 19, 2012

What is your fav beauty tip?

Hello Beautifuls!
 
Last weekend I had the most wonderful time hanging out with some of the most positive, beautiful, smart, sexy, crazy, and fun-loving broads (term of endearment...LOL! ) that I know! It was great to see old friends, and equally fun to make new ones. I haven't laughed so much in a long time...thanks ladies! (I hope Guapo's allows us back. LOL)
While enjoying our nips and sips someone started going around the table and asking each one of us if we had any beauty tips. Not sure why but the conversation wasn't always "P-G" but I will keep it clean for Penny's audience. (Some of you are going...'I thought she said 'beauty tips'...what's not P-G about that?' You don't know my friends.) LOL!  Here are some of the interesting products and tips that were shared:
 
Sabino Moisture Block
Sabino Moisture Block
This is a great anti-humidity, thermal protection serum for those of us with natural hair, who occasionally want to wear straight styles (and keep our look for more than a day). Penny has written about Sabino's Lok & Blok a few times before and love that product. I found that the Lok & Blok was the first serum that actually tamed my hair and allows me to blow dry my hair straighter than any other product. Well Sabino Moisture Block is supposed to be the new and improved serum. The company website is the best place to order this product ($22 per 3oz bottle, but there is 30% off offer, and if you buy in bulk its much cheaper). According to the website it is great for African American hair and high humidity climates. It is shampoo soluble...which means water alone won't remove the product. I know folks that swear by this product and have used it in hot, humid places to put it to the test. Penny got her bottle today so I will follow up with pics after I use it. Please follow the instructions carefully because if you use too much of the product, it could leave your hair weighed down. There will be some trial and error to find the right amount for your hair so don't give up after one use. Check out the details at:
http://sabinohair.com/moisture-block.php
 
 
Bentonite Detoxifying Clay Mask


Bentonite Clay Mask
This is a really cool, inexpensive, all natural facial mask that you can do at home. It is a great detoxifying mask that leaves your face clean and smooth. It's especially good for acne-prone skin and large pores. There are two simple ingredients, bentonite clay powder and apple cider vinegar (or water). Both I bought at my local Whole Foods grocery for next to nothing. The instructions are simple to...equal parts powder to liquid. So I did one tablespoon, powder to one table spoon liquid to create a creamy paste. The first time I tried this mask I used apple cider vinegar (365 Organic Apple Cider Vinegar) and clay powder (Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay) which caused an unusual tightening sensation as the mask dried. After I rinsed off the mask my skin felt great!...smooth, clean, but not tight and dry. After the 2nd time I used it I noticed I had a slight dry patch (where I normally have eczema), and a pimple. I assumed it was the detox at work pulling the impurities to the surface. However, since I have combination/dry sensitive skin, I started using the mask with water instead of vinegar and it works just as well.
(read full story...)
 
Kerastase Hair Masque
Some of you may be familiar with the Kerastase brand. I have seen many a rave review about Kerastase and in particular their Kerastase Oleo line. The Kerastase masque was recommended by one of the young ladies and I can't wait to try it. I know the orange jar was mentioned but when I researched the product for this blog entry I realized that there is more than one treatment in the orange jar. There is Oleo Relax to combat frizzy, unruly hair; there is Oleo Curl, an intense hair care treatment that conditions and hydrates dry, rebellious curls; there is Oleo Relax Slim, also to tame frizzy hair, and finally there is Oleo Nutri Thermique (white jar, orange lid) a thermo-protecting, deeply nourishing treatment that intensely hydrates very dry, sensitized hair. Kerastase can be a bit pricey but I love my Bain de Force 'reinforcing and resurfacing shampoo for damaged weakened hair' (green bottle) and the way my hair feels and smells when I use it. So my next splurge might be one of the masques.

C. Booth Ginger Sugar Body Scrub
Ginger Sugar Scrub
Penny didn't really share a favorite beauty tip that day because I have so many I couldn't think of just one! LOL! But since then I have thought of quite a few to share with the lovely ladies.

A staple in my beauty arsenal is the C. Booth Ginger Sugar Body Scrub that I get at ULTA for $6.49 a jar! I love this stuff! It leaves my skin silky smooth and I love the smell. It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin at all and really leaves me feeling moisturized. I usually apply it in gentle circular motion to dry skin (while standing in the shower to contain the mess).  As with any oil-based product you use in the shower, be careful of the slippery shower floor; I always clean up immediately. After I rinse it off, my skin is left super soft for days. And how about that budget-friendly price? Even though I've made more own brown sugar body scrub in the past, I stock up on this stuff so I'm never without.

Since this entry is pretty long, I will try to cover a few more tips in my next entry.

What's your favorite beauty tip?

Be blessed. Be beautiful.
Penny

1 comment: