Friday, December 12, 2014

Winter Skin Woes

Hello Beautiful!


Penny is not a fan of the Winter season...many of you probably know this. And one reason is because of the havoc it wreaks on my skin. Aside from aggravating my eczema, the cold dry air, or the dry indoor heat causes itchy skin all over. It causes my face to feel dry and my lips to get dry and sometimes cracked. Not only is this not 'pretty' for Penny...but it's uncomfortable. To combat dry, itchy skin I have tried a multitude of products and routines over the years. Yes, many will say I need to drink more water...that's a given...I'm bad at that. I've also been told to use a humidifier at home...and that helps but only a little. Instead, as soon as the weather turns cold  I find myself with the winter woes; having to change my daily routine to help maintain soft, supple, moisturized skin from head to toe. So here's what's been working for me this winter:

Body treatment:
C. Booth Ginger Sugar Body Scrub - One of Penny's faves! Not only do I really like the ginger smell but the sugar buffs my body smooth, and the natural oils makes my skin as soft as a baby's bottom. LOL! This is a staple in my household. ($8.99, ULTA.com)
NOTE: Please be very careful as this product makes for a very slick bathtub/shower floor. Once you safely exit the shower, be sure to scrub the surface with a cleanser as the oil will stay on the surface and create a slippery surface even after it dries. 

Body Gloves
Earth Therapeutics Body Gloves ($6.49, ULTA) - Since I exfoliate daily in the winter months I use these great body gloves to slough off any dead skin cells which preps my skin for the moisturizing treatments that follow. These are easy to use, and inexpensive so you can replace as often as you'd like. I prefer these to the shower 'puffs'  and loofahs because you get better exfoliation and mold  often grows on the puffs at the base of where the rope is tied on (gross!).



Waxelene
Waxelene - A natural alternative to petroleum jelly made of organic soy oil, beeswax, organic rosemary oil and natural Vitamin e. I love the texture and the fact that it absorbs well into the skin. It is a little costly for the size it comes in ($16.99, 9 oz jar). You can find it at your local Whole Foods grocery store or on Amazon.com (sometimes slightly cheaper; $15.49, 9 oz jar on Amazon). I use this nightly mixing in other essential oils at times.

Coconut Oil - Everyone knows that there are many benefits to pure coconut oil. I not only use this in my hair sometimes but I also use it at night in combination with the Waxelene for added skin softening. I bought the Nature's Way brand at Whole Foods ($19, 32 oz jar) and later saw it on Amazon for $17.24 for the same size. Coconut oil is rich in proteins which contributes to cellular health, and tissue repair; which counteracts the damage caused by my eczema. I can even use this on my face at night without breaking out.
  • Penny's Perk: Just tried NOW Foods Wheat Germ Oil  for the first time at the recommendation of a friend ($11.69, 16 oz, Amazon.com). I'm not a fan of the smell but will try to use it with my Waxelene at night to see how it works on my eczema. This oil has a heavy fragrance and dark color and should be stored in the refrigerator. Those with wheat allergies should avoid wheat germ oil. 
(read full story...)
Lip treatment:
Vitamin E Oil - Penny likes pure Vitamin e oil as a lip moisturizer, especially overnight. When you're asleep the dry air can mess with your lips. Breathing through your mouth as you exercise, or constantly licking your lips could also cause lips to crack, which can be painful. And as much as Penny hates to say it, sometimes our lipsticks can cause dryness and irritation. So I like to apply Vitamin e oil at night to help seal in moisture and repair any damage done by my matte lipsticks or the environment. I have a small bottle of CVS brand Vitamin E Oil that lasts quite a while since you only need a dab. In a pinch you can open a Vitamin e capsule and use that too (from $5.99, CVS).
  • Penny's Perk: DIY Honey Sugar Lip Scrub. Go into the kitchen and put a drop of honey in the palm of your hand. Add a pinch of sugar; any kind you have. Mix it together to create a sticky paste, then apply gently to your lips in a light rubbing motion to exfoliate the dry skin. Wait 60 seconds and rinse with warm water; pat dry. This is the best lip exfoliator (and the cheapest) Penny has ever tried. Soft, kissable lips every time! ;-)
 Aquaphor Healing Ointment - This is my daily lip balm. I keep a tube in my purse at all times. I even buy the twin pack whenever I see it just so that I never run out. LOL! Although it is petroleum-based it works better than any other lip balm for me as others contain mint or eucalyptus oils, or menthol which tend to dry me out. I use this under my lipsticks as well ($5.99, CVS).

Murad AHA/BHA Cleanser
Face treatment:
Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser - Another staple in Penny's skincare arsenal is this Murad exfoliating cleanser. This scrub is gentle enough to use daily although it contains Salicylic Acid, Lactic Acid, Glycolic Acid and Jojoba beads to create clean, toned, refreshed skin. Those acids fall into the categories of Alpha-Hydroxy Acids (AHA) or Beta-Hydroxy Acids (BHA) which help keep my skin smooth and soft to the touch, without any drying or irritation. It also helps to prevent clogged pores which can lead to break outs, white heads and black heads. I love this stuff! ($36, ULTA)

CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM - This moisturizer is gentle enough for my sensitive skin but contains ceramides and hyaluronic acid to help retain moisture. CeraVe PM also contains niacinamide, which helps reduce redness (which is sometimes caused by my eczema). Since I have to use several Obagi products both a.m. and p.m. to treat my melasma, I feel comfortable using the CeraVe moisturizer which causes no irritation. ($11.79, Target). NOTE: I just ordered the Obagi Hydrate Luxe Moisture Rich Cream to try as my night cream. Penny has a penchant for products remember. :-)

All these products can be used by women or men.

How do you combat rough, dry winter skin?

Have a safe (and supple) holiday season!  LOL!  ;-)

Be blessed. Be beautiful.
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment